This chapter shows the basic way of how to handle swords.
- Wear a white glove or hold 2 handkerchiefs (for both hands).
2. After lightly bow, hold tsuka with a right hand, hold saya with a left-hand pull Saya
- Set down saya on left, prepare sword tool.
- Using the sword tool, push out the mekugi (peg).
- Put mekugi in the hole of tsuka up side down so that mekugi don’t get lost.
- Pull tsuka and habaki (metal just above the Tsuka, gold in the picture below ) and set down on right.
- Hold nakago with a right hand. With left hand, support under the blade with Washi (or handkerchief or tissue paper).
- With the light reflect on the surface of the sword, all the works on the blade can be seen clearly.
To see Hamon, Jigane, Boshi well, move the sword up and down, sideways to reflect the light on the right position.
9. After finish looking at the sword, reverse the process to put it back.